Last updated May 11, 2020
Thank you for taking part in this important UK Biobank study. The information we collect will be used to improve understanding of the COVID-19 pandemic and to manage the outbreak.
- Choose a time when you have been up for a little while and have been moving around.
- It’s important to be well hydrated – drink two glasses of water about 30 minutes before you provide your blood sample.
- Aim to collect and post your sample on the day requested in your email. If this isn’t possible, don’t worry. Simply take your sample and post it when you are able – aim for Monday to Thursday to ensure our laboratory receives your sample when it is open.
- Get your blood pumping: climb the stairs once or twice (if you are able), march on the spot, rotate your arms or vigorously shake your hands for a minute or two.
- Prise off the cap of the collection tube and place in the tube holder section of the protective packaging.
- Soak your hands in a bowl of warm water for about two minutes (making sure it is not too hot), and dry them.
Choose a finger. The ring
or little finger on your non-dominant hand usually works best. Clean the finger with the alcohol swab.
Remove the cap from
the lancet. Place the lancet against the side of your fingertip. Press down firmly to pierce the skin.
Wipe the first drop of blood
away with the cleansing wipe. Massage from the palm of
your hand to about halfway
down your finger.
Let the blood run into the tube. Fill the tube up to the 0.5ml line (or as close as you can). If the blood stops, repeat the
process with the second lancet on a different finger.
Press cap until it clicks. Slowly turn the tube over and back 10 times, but do not shake it. This needs to be done as soon after the collection as possible.
Clean your finger with the cleansing wipe. Put a plaster on if needed. Discard wipes and unused plasters in household waste.
Peel the sample label off the questionnaire and apply to tube, so that the numbers run
along the length of your sample tube.
Please complete the questionnaire. Make sure you record the date and time of sample collection on the form and put it in the return envelope.
Please record the date and time of the sample collection on the sticker on the return envelope.
Enclose the tube and used lancets in their protective packaging. Close the clam shell lid. Seal the envelope, wipe the package and return it to us.
- I’ve put the sample label on my tube.
- I’ve completed the questionnaire and placed it in the return envelope.
- I’ve put my tube and used lancets in to the protective packaging.
- I’ve completed the date and time of sample collection on the return label.
- It is important to send on the day of collection.
Posting your sample back to us
Currently, not all post boxes offer a daily pick up. If possible, please aim to post your sample in a post box located either outside a Post Office or your local Mail Delivery/Collection Centre.
If you are self-isolating, please ensure that someone else is able to post the packet for you.